Provides nutritious, child-friendly foods to chronically hungry children.
Working with BOCES and school districts throughout the county, United Way of Sullivan County helps to facilitate and support the Sullivan County SnackPack Program. A county-wide supplemental food program for children who need extra food on weekends and holidays when school breakfast and lunch programs are unavailable.
Why Do We Need A SnackPack Program?
- More than 50% of Sullivan County students receive free or reduced lunch.
- When school is not in session many students have less to eat and some go hungry.
- The SnackPack Program discreetly provides nutritious, child-friendly foods to chronically hungry children.
- Concealed in everyday backpacks that are taken home over the weekend or whenever school is not in session.
- The SnackPack provides nutrition, eases anxiety associated with food insecurity, reduces absenteeism, improves attention span, improves academic performance and increases self-esteem.